Saturday, October 11, 2008

1 Nephi Chapter 7

And it came to pass that they were angry with me again, and sought to lay hands upon me; but behold, one of the daughters of Ishmael, yea, and also her mother, and one of the sons of Ishmael, did plead with my brethren, insomuch that they did soften their hearts; and they did cease striving to take away my life. ~ 1 Nephi 7:19

I chose this verse for an unusual reason. Well, two reasons. I've always wondered if that daughter of Ishmael is the one Nephi ended up marrying. I think it probably it is.

Second, and probably more importantly, I am always impressed that 2 out of the 3 people speaking for Nephi were women. Sometimes as a woman I feel powerless. I always like to see scriptural accounts of women doing something good, making a difference, or causing a change to occur.

In some ways it reminds me that I can do that in my life. I can stand up for what is right, plead for those that need help, and generally make a difference. I like the idea of that.

I am a shy person by nature, even though my co-workers, and definitely my mother in law, probably would not agree. Verses like this give me courage to stand up a little more and speak a little louder.

Would you like to read this verse in context? Read all of 1 Nephi Chapter 7.