Friday, October 17, 2008

1 Nephi Chapter 13

And he said: Behold it proceedeth out of the mouth of a Jew. And I, Nephi, beheld it; and he said unto me: The book that thou beholdest is a record of the Jews, which contains the covenants of the Lord, which he hath made unto the house of Israel; and it also containeth many of the prophecies of the holy prophets; and it is a record like unto the engravings which are upon the plates of brass, save there are not so many; nevertheless, they contain the covenants of the Lord, which he hath made unto the house of Israel; wherefore, they are of great worth unto the Gentiles. ~ 1 Nephi 13:23

In this part of his vision Nephi sees the Bible going forth among the inhabitants of the New World, specificially the Pilgrims. The angel points it out to him and tells him the Bible contains the record of the covenants the Lord has made to the house of Israel.

I think this is a neat scripture because it compares the Bible to the plates of brass that Nephi retrieved from Laban several chapters ago. It was so important for this people to have the words of the prophets so that they could be taught the commandments. They are a remnant of the house of Israel so the covenants would apply to them also.

This highlights the importance of the scriptures to me in my own life. I know I can't expect to continue doing what is right without access to the word of God. I appreciate that I can have my own scriptures and read them whenever I want.

Want to read this verse in context? Read all of 1 Nephi Chapter 13.