Sunday, October 19, 2008

1 Nephi Chapter 15

Wherefore, I, Nephi, did exhort them to give heed unto the word of the Lord; yea, I did exhort them with all the energies of my soul, and with all the faculty which I possessed, that they would give heed to the word of God and remember to keep his commandments always in all things. ~ 1 Nephi 15:25

I like this scripture for a weird reason. I've imagined myself in this situation. I've pictured myself having this same conversation with my siblings. I don't think I would be as faithful as Nephi. I would probably say, "Whatever. Fine, don't believe me." and let it go.

I hate arguing about religion. That is one reason I have comments turned off. I am just not interested in it. I know some people really are. They love the debate.

Nephi obviously cared for his brothers and wanted them to believe. I know I care about my siblings but I guess it isn't my 'style' to be verbally pushy. That makes it hard to bear my testimony, especially to someone who has deep beliefs already.

I know I need to speak out more, and to do it out of love. I still don't want to argue or debate, but I need to at least say my peace. With family especially, since I really do want them to be happy.

Do you want to read this verse in context? Read all of 1 Nephi Chapter 15.