Monday, October 27, 2008

1 Nephi Chapter 21

That thou mayest say to the prisoners: Go forth; to them that sit in darkness: Show yourselves. They shall feed in the ways, and their pastures shall be in all high places. ~ 1 Nephi 21:9

This chapter is comparable to Isaiah 49. I read it about 6 times. It was hard to pull a favorite verse out. I realized that while I could read it and get the basic gist of it, it would be very difficult for me to teach on it or explain it, at least without further study.

I ended up choosing this scripture because it sounds so hopeful. Aren't we all prisoners, really? We've all sinned and fall short. Without the atonement of Jesus Christ we are nothing. We could never hope to get back to the Father.

This whole chapter is about the Messiah, about the coming of Jesus Christ. I love the feeling of hope I got when I read this scripture. I pictured being in the dark, frightened and alone, when all of a sudden a light comes. I can imagine hearing a voice saying, "Go forth" and being set free.

I like thinking about that. I am pessimistic by nature and it is good for me to remember the hope and real peace that is found in the atonement. Jesus Christ truly died for us and because of His sacrifice we can 'go forth' and be redeemed.

Do you want to read this verse in context? Read all of 1 Nephi Chapter 21.