Thursday, October 16, 2008

1 Nephi Chapter 12

And the mists of darkness are the temptations of the devil, which blindeth the eyes, and hardeneth the hearts of the children of men, and leadeth them away into broad roads, that they perish and are lost. ~ 1 Nephi 12:17

This is more interpretation of Lehi's vision of the Tree of Life. I like the phrase, "...leadeth them away into broad roads, that they perish and are lost." It is very beautiful language, but it also reminds me that scriptures say many time that it is a straight and narrow way to the kingdom of God.

It also reminds me that it is easy to get lost or to get off track. As I go about my daily life it is not always easy to remember to do the things I am supposed to do. Even things I think are habits now are easy to slouch on.

One thing I want to work on, in addition to scripture reading, is to say better prayers. I've been rushing and mumbling a lot lately. I've caught myself repeating something I've said a few moments before too. I think I forgot, or I am too tired.

I don't want to mumble at Heavenly Father. I want to have a real dialogue with Him and pour out my heart to Him. I know He is listening and anxious to hear from me.

Do you want to read this verse in context? Read all of 1 Nephi Chapter 12.