Wednesday, October 08, 2008

1 Nephi Chapter 4

And it came to pass that when Zoram had made an oath unto us, our fears did cease concerning him. ~ 1 Nephi 4:37

This scripture stood out to me while reading this chapter. It could have something to do with it being an election year and with a presidential debate tonight.

Zoram made an oath to Nephi and his brothers that he would leave Jerusalem with them and dwell with them. And their fears ceased. In other words, they believed him. Amazing.

I don't believe much of what I hear these days. I don't believe advertisers, or politicians, or even my boss that promised a co-worker he wasn't going to get laid off (he did).

I feel bad that I can't. My experience has shown that most people don't tell the truth. There isn't anything I can do about that really. The only person I can change is myself.

If I look closely at my own behavior I know I can stretch the truth. I very rarely lie, but I have dissembled, avoided answering, or insinuated. I need to work on that. I would like to be known for my honesty. I want people, through their experience, to know that they can believe me.

Do you want to read this verse in context? Read all of 1 Nephi Chapter 4.