Thursday, October 23, 2008

1 Nephi Chapter 19

And I did read many things unto them which were written in the books of Moses; but that I might more fully persuade them to believe in the Lord their Redeemer I did read unto them that which was written by the prophet Isaiah; for I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning. ~ 1 Nephi 19:23

This is kind of an obvious one to pick but that is okay. Nephi is recounting how he is teaching his brothers.

I like the last part especially, the 'liken all scriptures' part. The scriptures are such a valuable tool. Applying them to your own life is really what can make a difference, much more so than just reading them and marking it off in a chart.

This is also a good reminder for me that there is a lot of great stuff in Isaiah. The language is beautiful but I find a lot of it confusing. I read it through hoping that I get some of it. The next couple chapters are from the book of Isaiah and an example of what Nephi is teaching. It should be interesting to pick a favorite scripture.

Do you want to read this verse in context? Read all of 1 Nephi Chapter 19.