Monday, October 06, 2008

1 Nephi Chapter 2

And it came to pass that he departed into the wilderness. And he left his house, and the land of his inheritance, and his gold, and his silver, and his precious things, and took nothing with him, save it were his family, and provisions, and tents, and departed into the wilderness. ~ 1 Nephi 2:4

Every fall I think about emergency preparedness a lot. Church leaders have counciled for many years that we prepare for distaster. Not just something like a hurricane or flood, but also a lost job, or death of a family wage earner.

I love the scripture above because Lehi leaves Jerusalem and leaves his possessions behind. He takes tents and provisions and his most important treasure, his family, and departs.

I marvel at his faith. I have few earthly treasures, but as small as they are, would I walk away from them? If push came to shove I know I would. If there was a hurricane or something I know I could leave my computer behind and my books, and my daughter's toys. The most important thing would be my family.

Lehi had a slightly different challenge though. He didn't have mandatory evacuations, or authorities telling him to get out, or even a weather radio. He had a vision from God telling him to go. Members of his family were against it. I am sure it was difficult for all of them. I try to picture myself as a teenager and following my father out into the wilderness. I cringe to think how I would behave.

He had the faith necessary to follow the will of the Lord. I hope cultivate that much faith. It is hard when you can't see the whole picture but it is comforting to know that God can.

Do you want to read this verse in context? Read all of 1 Nephi Chapter 2.