Sunday, October 26, 2008

1 Nephi Chapter 20

For, behold, I have refined thee, I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction. ~ 1 Nephi 20:10

This was a tough chapter for me. This chapter compares to Isaiah 48. Isaiah had a particular way of speaking and it is hard for me to understand.

I chose this scripture because it was short and the meaning seems obvious to me. I have certainly felt like I was being 'refined' at times, and by that I mean tested. And the furnace of affliction? I think I've been there too.

Sometimes I remember to thank Heavenly Father for my trials. I know that real growth can take place during and after a trial.

Trials can be physical, spiritual, or emotional. Sometimes they are little and sometimes so overwhelmingly huge. I figure if I can learn to be grateful for them then I'll always have at least some good come from them.

Do you want to read this verse in context? Read all of 1 Nephi Chapter 20.