Friday, October 10, 2008

1 Nephi Chapter 6

For the fulness of mine intent is that I may persuade men to come unto the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, and be saved. ~ 1 Nephi 6:4

This is a really short chapter. At first I thought it would be hard to pick a favorite verse but this one is really the obvious choice.

Nephi writes that his purpose in writing on the plates is to persuade men to come to God and be saved. In a way that is the intent of my blog too. Maybe not so much to persuade, but to just put stuff out there, bear my testimony, and hope it helps someone along the way.

In the Church we talk a lot about bearing our testimonies and different ways we can do that. We even set aside one Church meeting a month just so the congregation can bear their testimonies. It is a way to shore one another up.

I know there have been times in my life when I've leaned on the faith of someone else. Sometimes it has been the words of a family member, friend, or the scriptures. I am grateful that Nephi had the desire to help and that he followed through by keeping records.

Since my daughter was born I've been trying to keep a family journal. I bought a beautiful journal for Christmas last year and it sits in our living room. My husband and I both write in it once in awhile. Not as much as I had hoped, but it is good we are writing something. I hope it is a treasure for our family some day.

Do you want to read this verse in context? Read all of 1 Nephi Chapter 6.